Monday, January 6, 2014

December Art Bead Scene Challenge

The inspiration for December's Art Bead Scene Challenge was "Winter Landscape" by Wassily Kandinsky.  For more information on the artwork and the artist, CLICK HERE.  

It's an interesting pick color-wise.  With all of its yellows, pinks, and blues the color palette seams more Easter egg than Christmas. 


Winter Landscape by Wassily Kandinsky, 1909

Oil on cardboard 75.5 cm × 97.5 cm

The State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia
I'm super late getting this challenge completed because of all the holiday fun, travel, and general madness... but better late than never!  I really just wanted to make something with one of the cute little house beads that I had bought from Tracee Dock of The Classic Bead back in November... when this painting showed up as the December inspiration I knew I had to try to make something.

I grabbed one of the houses in a yellowy cream color and then pulled together a selection of Czech glass, dyed howlite, and septaria that picked up many of the colors from the painting.  I had hoped to use one of the turquoise color howlite pumpkin rondelles under the house bead but the hole just wasn't big enough to accommodate the waxed Irish linen I was using (also from Tracee!). The glass bead are described as "flower window coins" but they sort of remind me of the paint strokes in the painting.




This was the first time I experimented with the waxed Irish linen.  I'm pleased with how the pendant came out but I would cut the thread a little longer next time to make it easier to knot.  I used her "Country Yellow" which looked a little greener on the card, but I still think it works.  I have some other great colors from Tracee and plan on playing around more with this in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment