Thursday, October 16, 2014

Art Bead Scene Challenge: October 2014


This month's Art Bead Scene Challenge inspiration is "Autumn" by Milton Avery.  You can read more about the artwork and the artist over on the ABS blog HERE.   For a fall theme, it's definitely got some unusual colors thrown into the mix.  I'll admit that the inspiration artwork didn't initially grab me... but it has grown on me a bit as I've mulled it over.

"Autumn" 1944 
by Milton Avery

Even though I wasn't too sure about the inspiration, I just couldn't help digging through my art beads just in case something jumped out at me... and it did!  I found a yummy little bundle of beads from Gaea that I had squirreled away.  With the orange leaf connector and beads in shades of cream, pink, and purple they felt like a really good fit.  I included the two teal beads from the set thinking that they worked pretty well for some of the darker smudges in the background trees.

When I first pulled extra beads to possibly go with the set, I found some gemstones and Czech glass that matched the vibrant blue and purple quite well, but when I decided to use four strands of waxed Irish linen as my stringing material those fell by the wayside since the linen wasn't going to fit through their smaller holes.  I did add in some extra ceramic discs in shades of orange to fill in and ensure my bracelet would have enough length.


I did manage to work in some of the darker blue and bright purple into my design with some decorative beads on the linen tails.  I especially like those luster purple seed beads against the orange linen.  I'm pretty happy with this fun fall inspired design!

1 comment:

  1. A lovely, gentle, deeply peaceful interpretation of the theme. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete