Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Art Bead Scene: May 2017

This month's Art Bead Scene inspiration is Bowl of Fruit, Violin and Bottle by Pablo Picasso.  You can read more about the artwork and the artist over on the ABS blog HERE.  Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of this particular artwork or, really, anything in the Cubist style.  Moreover, I really don't get it...  I see the violin and (I think) the bottle but the bowl of fruit escapes me.  I'm guessing that it's the blob at the top of the artwork, but who knows!?!

Bowl of Fruit, Violin and Bottle
Pablo Picasso
1914
Oil On Canvas
Since the artwork doesn't really speak to me, I decided that focusing on the colors was the way to go this time.  I chose to work more with the pinks, tans, and creams in the painting, but as you'll see below, I did add some speckled blue ceramic beads into both designs to try and pull it all together... and to echo the speckled and textured parts of the artwork.  But I'm getting ahead of myself!

Even before I had made anything for last month's ABS challenge, I had picked out the main components for this first design.  (Have I mentioned how much I adore having the booklet with the whole year's artwork to peruse??)  I was digging through my beads looking for options for April and a set of silk wrapped cocoons from SagaHus Components caught my eye.  I fell in love with the rich mix of peachy-pink and cream when Anna Pierson listed them in her Facebook group and had to have them.  Sitting just one compartment over in my art bead drawer were some fun ceramic flowers that I picked up from my friend Tracee Dock of The Classic Bead a while back.  It was serendipity!  The only other thing I added to those original components were the speckled blue beads.  These are pretty big earrings (bigger than I would probably wear myself) but I know they'll find the right person!


I thought that this would be it for me, but then another light bulb went off and I grabbed another pair of components from SagaHus... this time a pair of Czech glass teardrops embellished with scarlet silk and seed beads.  Once again, I added in some blue speckled ceramic beads (in a slightly larger size than those in my first pair.)


Thanks for stopping by to see what I've been up to lately.  If you want to see what other folks have been inspired to make in response to this Picasso, check out the Art Bead Scene's Pinterest board HERE.  

3 comments:

  1. Amazing how quick you are to capture some unique inspiration each month, Sarajo! Really enjoy the additions of fabric to these earring designs. Such a fun way to show off these bead artist's creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some charming earrings. Your advanced planning certainly paid off
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic as usual! These are so fun and expressive!

    ReplyDelete